Online Degrees in Information Technology
One benefit of earning an information technology degree is its versatility. From brief certificate programs to advanced doctoral degrees, information technology training can be customized to meet the needs of the individual student.
Because of the broad range of study, skills learned in information technology programs differ from degree to degree. In general, students learn the fundamentals of the technology they study, be it a computer programming language, an operating system, the structure of a database, or the engineering skills required to design new systems of technology. Unlike more theoretical degrees in computer science, information technology degrees generally focus on applied skills.
Online information technology degrees
Campus-based and online degrees in information technology are available at all levels, and the appropriate degree program for the individual depends on the student's career goals. An associate degree in information technology, for example, includes basic training in computer programming, computer networks, Web development and troubleshooting--leading to entry-level technical and support-related positions.
A bachelor's degree is considered the standard for many careers in information management and database administration. A bachelor's degree in information technology generally includes an emphasis on business applications of technological systems and may focus on software development, software testing or database management, among other options.
Master's degrees in information technology are often considered best for students looking to advance into management roles, while a doctoral degree is generally required for post-secondary teachers and researchers in the field.
In addition to the full degree programs above, certification training exists to give students a targeted education in program suites and technologies. Vendors like Microsoft and Cisco offer popular certification programs.
One specific benefit of earning an information technology degree online is in gaining familiarity with the online education medium. For aspiring IT trainers, online education can mean gaining familiarity and experience with web-based learning technologies like forums. What's more, those who already have a working knowledge of online practices may make a smooth transition to the online training format.
Popular information technology careers
Take a look at the most popular information technology careers in 2010, ranked by number of employees in the field, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS):
- Computer support specialists: 579,270 workers
- Software developers, applications: 499,280 workers
- Computer systems analysts: 495,800 workers
- Software developers, systems software: 378,920 workers
- Computer programmers: 333,620 workers
Computer specialists can be found in fields varying from automotive technology to health care to the arts. An analytical mind is best suited to information technology training, and precision calculations are often required. After years of experience, workers in IT might move into management positions in business or towards expert positions in IT. Some workers go into consulting, working one-on-one with management teams in other businesses.
Information technology at a glance:
- Popular IT careers: Software engineers; network systems and data communications analysts; computer and information systems managers; computer network, systems, and database administrators; computer support specialists
- Salary range for common careers: $49,930 (computer support specialists) - $123,280 (computer information systems managers), according to 2010 data from the BLS
- Fastest growing IT careers (2008-2018): network systems and data communications analysts (53 percent), computer software engineers, applications (34 percent), computer software engineers, systems software (30 percent), according to the BLS
- Metropolitan areas with the highest concentration of computer and information systems managers: Framingham, MA; San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA; Durham, NC
Online Degree Programs in Information Technology
Online. Accelerated. Affordable. Accredited.
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education.
Thanks to Florida Tech offering intensive degree programs 100% online, students located all over the world have the opportunity to access the same world-class education as those who attend classes on the main campus in Melbourne, Florida.
Achieve your potential with an online degree from Capella University.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
Earn a respected bachelor's degree, master's degree, or Ph.D. online at Walden University.