Although the initial fears of mad cow disease have been downgraded in the past few months, the discovery of a new case always raises public health concerns. Russia has reported a new case of mad cow and is taking measures to keep it from spreading to other countries.
Mad cow disease, the common name for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is making the headlines again following a confirmed new case on a farm in Kaliningrad, Russia. This confirmation adds to diagnoses in France and comes just as several Asian countries are lifting their import bans on American beef thanks to a scare three years ago. Canadian farmers suffered a brutal hit from an outbreak in January.
Mad cow disease, sometimes transmitted to humans through contaminated beef, can cause a serious nerve illness that often leads to death.
Mad Cow Disease Threatens Public Health
- Cases Expected. Public health officials have said that while the new case is disappointing, it is certainly not unexpected.
- Worldwide Ban. Most countries banned Canadian meat from their supermarket shelves for two years following public health warnings.
- The Casualties. Over 150 people have died as a result of eating tainted meat, with most cases occurring in the United Kingdom.
With some newer restrictions and tighter examinations, mad cow disease should be contained–but there’s always something else on the horizon (avian flu, anyone?). You can help this battle by earning your online public health degree and making decisions that affect people’s lives. In this vast field, you might find yourself monitoring the environment, performing health inspections, or providing public education and health care. Here’s what you can expect in the program:
- Program Length. An online public health degree is typically a four-year program from a local university or online college.
- Career Outlook. With our population continuing to increase and new issues arising all the time, this degree is likely to keep you gainfully employed.
- Expected Salary. Completing an online public health degree could have you making from $30,000 to $60,000 per year.
Public health is everyone’s concern. Earn an online degree in public health–it could save lives and be a lucrative career move.