Online Degrees in Web Development
The Internet has greatly altered the way people communicate with one another, conduct business, and learn – and it is constantly changing. Web developers are needed in order to keep up with these changes, which makes them valuable assets for companies with any web presence. In contrast to web designers, who typically manage the aesthetics of a website, Web developers are responsible for constructing and maintaining a website’s functionality in an assortment of ways.
Online degree programs offer many benefits, such as flexible schedules, which allow students to view and complete coursework at times convenient for them. Online programs tend to consist of weekly readings and assignments, discussion board postings, and live or pre-recorded lectures that are viewed through webinars or other virtual portals.
Depending on what degree option individuals choose, various career opportunities may present themselves to graduates of web development programs.
- Web development associate degree: For this degree, coursework is taught at an introductory level. Curriculum may focus on many different subjects, such as the importance of programming concepts and advanced scripting techniques. Typically, persons who have earned this degree may be able to find work in support roles, such as assistant developers or software applications testers.
- Web development bachelor’s degree: Many online colleges offer this degree under the designation Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT). BSIT programs often offer a concentration or emphasis in web development. The well-rounded curriculum dives into all categories of web development, including both front and backend coding languages. Coursework may include instruction on computer programming, technical writing fundamentals, XHTML, HTML5, CSS, Java, and PHP. Following the completion of an online bachelor’s degree program, graduates generally meet the requirements of many entry-level jobs, and may be able to begin careers as web developers or applications developers. Additional experience may be required by some employers.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov, 2012), employment in the industry is projected to grow 22 percent between 2010 and 2020, which is more rapid than the average of all other occupations.
More and more companies are realizing the importance of a strong Web presence, and more web developers will be required to assist in the creation and maintenance of websites. Additionally, access to Internet continues to increase, resulting in a remarkable alteration in communication. Websites have altered the way consumers interact with and purchase goods, and web developers are playing a leading role in these changing forms of communications.
Online Degree Programs in Web Development
Earn a Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master's or Doctorate for less at Baker College Online.
- Associate of Applied Science - Web Development
- Bachelor of Web Development
Five colleges of study. One clear focus: Your career success.
Earn the respect of employers with a degree you can earn on campus, online or both.
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
Why ASU? At ASU, learning online is effective, flexible and smart. Every program delivered online is developed by the same excellent faculty who teach on our campuses, and is designed to engage students and professors in meaningful ways. The result? Our students are an integral part of a New American University.
- BAS in Internet & Web Development
A degree from CTU can connect you to what matters most: powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree you hit the ground sprinting. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Web Development