New Mad Cow Case Raises Profile of Public Health Professionals
Although the initial fears of mad cow disease have been downgraded in the past few months, the discovery of a new case always raises public health concerns. Russia has reported a new case of mad cow and is taking measures to keep it from spreading to other countries.
Mad cow disease, the common name for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is making the headlines again following a confirmed new case on a farm in Kaliningrad, Russia. This confirmation adds to diagnoses in France and comes just as several Asian countries are lifting their import bans on American beef thanks to a scare three years ago. Canadian farmers suffered a brutal hit from an outbreak in January.
Mad cow disease, sometimes transmitted to humans through contaminated beef, can cause a serious nerve illness that often leads to death.
Mad Cow Disease Threatens Public Health
- Cases Expected. Public health officials have said that while the new case is disappointing, it is certainly not unexpected.
- Worldwide Ban. Most countries banned Canadian meat from their supermarket shelves for two years following public health warnings.
- The Casualties. Over 150 people have died as a result of eating tainted meat, with most cases occurring in the United Kingdom.
With some newer restrictions and tighter examinations, mad cow disease should be contained--but there's always something else on the horizon (avian flu, anyone?). You can help this battle by earning your online public health degree and making decisions that affect people's lives. In this vast field, you might find yourself monitoring the environment, performing health inspections, or providing public education and health care. Here's what you can expect in the program:
- Program Length. An online public health degree is typically a four-year program from a local university or online college.
- Career Outlook. With our population continuing to increase and new issues arising all the time, this degree is likely to keep you gainfully employed.
- Expected Salary. Completing an online public health degree could have you making from $30,000 to $60,000 per year.
Public health is everyone's concern. Earn an online degree in public health--it could save lives and be a lucrative career move.
Pursue Your Health Care Degree Today:
Earn a respected bachelor's degree, master's degree, or Ph.D. online at Walden University.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
Capella courses focus on real-world application, so you’ll gain skills and knowledge you can apply right away.
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the same curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same degree, quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
Want to study at a UK university without leaving your house? The University of Liverpool offers online Masters and Doctoral programmes.
The George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services (SPHHS) is now offering MPH@GW, an online Master of Public Health (MPH). With classes developed and delivered by GW's world-class faculty, MPH@GW features the same rigorous academics and selective admission criteria as on-campus MPH programs offered by SPHHS.
- Master of Public Health