Online Culinary Arts Degrees
Culinary arts degrees combine food preparation instruction with nutrition, food safety and food service business knowledge to train and prepare chefs, cooks and managers for culinary and hospitality careers. Coursework in sanitation, nutrition and business management can often be taken online.
While experienced professionals in this industry can be promoted even without formal education, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that most leadership positions and better-paying positions in upscale food establishments require some training, such as the following culinary arts programs:
- Certificate or diploma. These courses may focus on food safety and preparation for workers in professional kitchens. Certificate courses in gourmet cooking are also available for home cooks who want to improve their skills.
- Associate degree. The two-year culinary arts degrees, such as Associate of Applied Arts, typically involve hands-on food preparation training, including knife skills, food sanitation, culinary math and accounting, menu planning, and more. Students can sometimes specialize in baking and pastry, international cuisine, or "garde manger" chef skills.
- Bachelor's degree. Culinary arts degrees, including Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Professional Studies and Bachelor of Hospitality Services, may offer a slightly different focus, such as nutrition or business. Programs take around four years to complete and include hands-on food preparation training as well as business education.
Online Degree Programs in Culinary Arts
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- AAS in Business Administration - Hospitality Management
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you’re going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that’s focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination. A collaborative education at The Art Institute of Atlanta-Decatur, a branch of The Art Institute of Atlanta, is all about the work, the students who create it, and the instructors who guide them.
The first step is to explore these areas of study, and think about where you fit in an industry that runs on ideas.
- Hotel & Restaurant Management (BS)
- Culinary Management (BS)