Extreme Advertising: The Art of Communication in a Technological World
The advertising industry is experiencing some sweeping changes in the new millennium. Strategic advertising goals are being shifted to new mediums. Advertising art is becoming increasingly sophisticated. And the demand for talented advertising professionals continues to gain momentum.
The end of an advertising era is quickly approaching. While the television remained the Holy Grail of advertising executives for several decades, digital and Web media are now the communication medium of choice for advertising dollars. Brad Stone of Newsweek International reports that DVRs are catching on quickly with over 70 percent of DVR viewers skipping the advertisements.
New Advertising Era
The notion that new technologies make TV advertisements less effective is not lost on marketing and advertising firms. They are scrapping their traditional advertising strategies for an increase in ROI (return on investment). In fact, there are a variety of technological advances that are forcing advertising companies to respond in creative ways to reach the public.
Changing the Advertising Game Plan
- Big Bucks for Prime Time. According to recent published rates, commercials that run during prime time are more expensive than they have ever been in history.
- Skipping the Boob Tube. Families are spending less time in front of the television and more time surfing the Internet at work and at home.
- Public Resistance. Another factor responsible for the scaling down of television advertisements is the proliferation of obtrusive ads and art.
So where is the new age of advertising leading the industry? By all indications, the Internet will be the light that guides the way. Not that television advertising will become obsolete, but the most promising advertising potential lies in Web and digital media.
The Digital Advertising Future
- Advertising Art. With the use of cutting edge software tools, advertising art and layout will be enhanced to improve target response.
- Interactive Advertisements. The digital advertising that seem to hold the most potential include interactive Web sites that make the customer a part of the advertisements.
- High Speed Internet. According to a Nielson/NetRatings report, broadband users make up 42 percent of the U.S. population, up from 36 percent in January 2005.
There has never been a better time to get into the advertising industry than right now. Employment prospects are hot and the demand for professionals is there. The best part is that you can train for an advertising career online from the comfort of your home.
Pursue Your Business Degree Today:
Manage your career and your life while earning your degree online.
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
We're with you, from start to finish.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
Advance your career with Indiana Wesleyan University.