New Study Finds Business Communication Absent from U.S. Companies
According to actress Marta Kristen, "we all have a common goal, and we know it's all for our future good." But what happens when the team doesn't know or understand the common goal? A recent study reports that when business communication suffers, it's the company who is the big loser.
The ever-widening communication gap between leadership and staff has a tell-tale effect on the company's performance, says the report dubbed Best Practices in Employee Communication: A Study of Global Challenges and Approaches. Business communications have taken on a new importance in light of recent accountability trends. The simple fact remains that if a business doesn't communicate with its staff members, it's tough to get everyone moving in the right direction. Here are some of the report highlights.
Business Communication Breakdown
- Surprising Stats. Over 60% of companies said that aligning their employees to the strategy of their business is their primary business communication goal, but fewer than 40% report success in this area.
- Communication Barrier. Business communications fail due to inconsistent messaging, lack of trust, and antiquated policies.
- Future Challenges. The business communication report also revealed the danger of communications overload on employees.
The concept of business communication provides a host of unique challenges to professionals in the field. If you have just decent writing, speaking, and technological skills, you can find success in business communication. Here's what the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has to say about the business communication field.
The Business Communication Career Profile
- Combo Degrees. Business communications majors have greater success when they combine their training with another similar degree, such as journalism.
- Growing Field. Overall employment of business communication degree holders will grow faster than average for all occupations through 2014.
- Typical Projects. The range of business communication projects you will handle include both written and oral contacts with employees.
If you want a challenging career that lets you express yourself, you can't go wrong with the business communication field.
Pursue Your Business Degree Today:
Manage your career and your life while earning your degree online.
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
Career-focused education for real‐world results.
Advance your career with Indiana Wesleyan University.
Earn a respected bachelor's degree, master's degree, or Ph.D. online at Walden University.